LED light therapy is no longer only available as a special addition to your salon facial. You can now choose from an array of at-home LED masks to help stimulate collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles and help kill bacteria and combat inflammation.
Most companies recommend you use their LED face mask on clean, dry skin void of any skincare products, which makes sense as the LED lights need to be able to penetrate your skin for the best effect.
But did you know if you don't apply skincare products within a few minutes of cleansing your face, this may result in Trans-Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) where water evaporates from the surface of your skin, causing dehydration?
But there is a solution, and using a LED face mask each night can be a wonderful time to wind down from the day while treating your complexion.
Here are 5 tips to help you avoid dehydrated skin (and even acne) and get the most out of your LED mask:
1) Wash your face with a gentle cleanser like The Perfect Balance Gel Cleanser that won’t disrupt your skin barrier. Using a harsh cleanser may result in greater Trans-Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) while you use your LED mask, leaving you with dry, irritated skin.
2) Use this time for self care. Light a candle and turn on a sound bath meditation for total relaxation. Relaxation and de-stressing can lower inflammation levels in the body which can prevent Inflammageing of the skin.
3) After using your LED mask, wipe the inside only with alcohol to prevent the spread of acne-causing bacteria.
4) Your skin may now feel dry. Dampen your skin again- either splash with water and pat dry, or lightly spray a face mist.
5) Apply a hydrating serum and moisturiser that contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, lipids, nourishing oils and even lactic acid, like The Regenerative Facial Serum, followed by The Ultimate Moisturiser. These ingredients will help your skin cells replenish and maintain moisture, and will help prevent TEWL.